“To buy or not to buy?”…That’s always the question.
Hannah Brooks: “In an age of digital marketing the process of actually buying a magazine can be perceived by some as a pretty low tech exercise. Despite radical changes in technology, Olya and I are just as much tragic “old school” magazine addicts as we are technology junkies”.
Olya Bell: “Hannah, there is something magical about flicking through the pages of a new magazine, oh and you know it’s battery is not going to give up on you half way through the flight”.
Hannah Brooks: “I find it fascinating and exciting that fashion marketing can exist in an environment where, in many ways print is still king! Each month we eagerly await the release of new print comapaigns…sad but true”.
Olya Bell: “I hope that we will inspire you to shamelessly get out your magazines, have a bit of a flick and then share your opinions on which ads you love and which brands you feel should immediately rethink their strategies or fire their brand managers and ad agencies”.
As we all buy them often – beauty products seemed like a good place to start.
In this regular post we will rate advertisements according our 2OPINIONATED criteria:
- Perfection ★★★★★ – because as we all know you can’t beat perfection.Translation: Locate supplier and SHOP ASAP!
- Phenomenal ★★★★– this ad was: visually appealing, creative, aligned with brands values, showcased the product and most importantly created a desire to purchase. Translation: Memorable and YES, its time to shop!
- Palatable ★★★– this ad: might have caught our attention but was somewhat unsatisfying. Translation: If you see the product again or you have a specific need then you might just check it out.
- Powerless ★ ★ – this ad: missed the point, was visually unappealing and contradicts the brands image. Translation: Memorable for all the wrong reasons, no need to shop here.
- Pointless minus★– to be awarded to the brand whose advertising dollars were completely wasted. Translation: You either flicked right past the page or walked straight passed their product.